TO BUY: Copies available for £8 (£7 members) at the Swansea Museum and at the Local History Bookfair at Swansea Museum. Keep an eye on our Events page for upcoming dates. Or contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TO CONSULT: go to Swansea Central Library (Reference section), West Glamorgan Archive Service or (by appointment) Swansea Museum (01792/653763).
- George William Hall an ordinary reporter in Swansea, but by 1890 was editor of the town's Cambria Daily Leader...before going off to Australia and being involved in gold mining on the largest scale.
- W.G.Mendus, a principal of the shipping firm, Burgesses, who was a leader of the local business community in the 1930s.
- The “courts” of Swansea, meaning here the miniscule dwellings built in the yards of the houses lining main streets to house the swelling population from the 1790s on – this article is a quite new interpretation.
- The remarkable nonconformist Countess of Huntingdon whose “connection” built a chapel in Swansea in the 1780s...and the rediscovery of the second “Huntingdon Chapel” in St.Helen's Road
- The story of Christopher Locke who died in 1716, and probably ran the Old Star Inn in Wind Street
- The squabbling, centring on the then Duke of Beaufort and his officials, which failed to prevent the construction of reservoirs ner Felindre in the 1860s
- The visit of William (father of Lewis Weston) Dillwyn to Swansea, and his comments on the market, the copperworks, etc.
- The first men from the Swansea area to take to the air, sometimes in rather unlikely machines
- The Richards Brothers, an important component in the link between Swansea and Prince Edward Island where so many sailing vessels were built
- Elias Jenkins, manager of the White Rock Copper Works in the first half of the 19th Century, a man of probity
- AND in Gemau Byrrach, briefer gems on Dan y Darren House, pre-war concrete buildings in Swansea, Rowley Davies & Frank Emery, two very different historians, and historic models of Swansea and Neath